Saturday 25 June 2016

Sewing Session Adventure

Last weekend, I was all set to do some major hexies sewing on my Quilt of the Century. Only two more diamonds to attach and another row would have been completed. But it was not meant to be.



Brought all my sewing goods on to the deck, had a big mug of coffee with me and sat under the big umbrella, ready to spend half day right there. Hubby came by, to talk about this and that, then he hushed and pointed at the deck. At that point, I heard it too. What was that noise?

The reason I don't feed the birds in the summer, is for fear of attracting the "wrong" kind of company. We have a chipmunk living in the flower bed and I thought he got himself a little girlfriend and they were frolicking under the deck. While I was cleaning the deck at the beginning of the month, Hubby did some repairs on one side. The noise was coming from that side and suddenly, the sound turned to something like whimper. Could it have hurt itself on something? Curious as I am, I wanted to see what was going on. The flashlight came out and we tried to see, between the boards, who was underneath. It was black and white. SKUNK!

Boy, did we scatter out of there, lol. Since the deck goes all the way to the ground, it is hard to see underneath it. At one point, we saw a little black face poke out. It's just a baby, I said. It won't spray, it's too young. Okay, but where is Mommy?? Mommies can spray and they are very protective too!

Cute little black face came out from its hiding place. It was about the size of a 4-6 weeks old kitten. It could fit in my hand, if I had dared grab it. Then Hubby said there's another one here! pointing at the other side of the deck! Oh! MY! How many are there??!!

 

Well, there was two little black faces.  Still no Mommy to be found. While I was chasing after these two with the camera, in two different directions, Hubby kept watch for the mother.
One of the wee one returned under the deck. DARN!!



That's how my sewing session was interrupted. With a baby skunk back under the deck, the mood for sewing had dissipate lol. We didn't see the mother, but that's fine, we were not really interested in meeting her personally anyway.

This one explored my garden (of dandelions) from one end to the other. It was so cute but very camera shy. It found another hiding place to spend the rest of the day until it was time to come out at twilight.

We figured they are orphans who had decided our deck was a good place to sleep the day away.  Our talking probably disturbed them.


We do see a lot of wild life, living so close to the forest.  We had many, many skunks, raccoons, porcupines, snakes, squirrels, chipmunks and the likes. We get to see bigger animals too like deer, moose, foxes and even a coyote once.  It's the first time someone adopted us like this though. May it be the last time. Don't get me wrong, I love nature and wouldn't hurt any of them (except spiders!). But since they don't invite me over for a cup of coffee, I don't want them over either. To each his home.

Anywho! They have now moved on and so shall I.



Then came a big gust of wind, sweeping my umbrella over the house. It crashed onto the front lawn.  Well, it broke!! Darn! This weekend, they are calling for 32 degrees (around 90 F). Maybe that's not very hot for some of you, but this is Canada, eh? I need this umbrella or else I won't go outside. Hubby will try to fix the broken ribs on the thing.







I did manage a little bit of hand sewing, driving and waiting for my sons all over town this week. Like so many of you, my son graduated high school. DS2 started a new job and needed some clothes too. So it was a pretty busy week. Looking forward to sit and sew. On "my" deck, lol.

These are the future diamonds for the next row.


Hope you find some time to sew too.



Until next time ...

;^)

Joining Angie at A Quilting Reader's Garden for WIPs Be Gone.
Joining Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching  (on Sunday)


13 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

that sure is an interruption to the sewing...........that goodness they didn't spray.........lovely little hexies..........

Lin said...

So your day was spoilt - what a shame but they do look rather cute! Easy for me to say I know. We had to buy a new umbrella this week as one of ours blew over and broke. We had a couple of days at 33 degrees which was a shock to the system. Not an unusual temperature for the time of year but usually we get a gradual buildup instead of leaping up 10 degrees in a day. Hope your Sunday goes well this week. xx

CecileD said...

Les mouffettes sont trop mignonnes mais j'ignore si cet animal est dangereux ou bien s' il fait des dégâts !
Congrats pour ton fils et ses études....une étape de plus de terminée ! Bon week-end et bons hexagones ! Ils sont très mignons !

scraphappy said...

Such sweet little skunks. Glad to hear that the mama didn't show up. That might not have smelled very nice.

CathieJ said...

Sorry your quiet stitching time was interrupted, but those babies really are cute. We had to stop up a hole that was being dug under our deck also. Not sure what kind of animal wanted to take up residence, but probably not a skunk around my neighborhood. I hope your umbrella has been fixed and you are back to stitching.

The Cozy Quilter said...

We had a large skunk in our backyard one evening. My husband thought it was a cat until I pointed out the white stripe..... Glad you did not have the spray to contend with! Your quilt looks wonderful!

Jayne Honnold said...

Oh My! What a fright that must have been! I would have 'skedaddled,' too! Your quilt is gorgeous; how proud you must be of it! I am finding you through Kathy's Slow Stitching link. Fun stuff to see here!

Jennifer said...

What an adventure you had with the baby skunks. Hope they find a home elsewhere. Love your hexies!

Quilter Kathy said...

Well that was a surprise! I hope you have some relaxing skunk free sewing today!

Ivani said...

They are so cute. What a privilege living so close to nature!!! Happy Slow Sunday Stitching!

Fiona said...

Pretty cute little skunks though I can imagine why you wouldnt want them living with you!! hope the umbrella gets fixed.... opposite weather here and I am staying insided out of the cold and wet...
Hugz

gayle said...

Aww... Yes, baby skunks are absolutely adorable, but the adults aren't nearly so cute... 8)
I hope things cool down for you. We're a bit too warm here, too!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love your hexie quilt! And I would have gotten off that deck in record time once I saw the black and white of a skunk! Ewwwww