Sunday 14 June 2015

Some sewing done

I am slowly getting back into the swing of things. I kind of fell off the wagon there for a short while. There was a very upsetting situation at work that needed the supervisor's intervention. I am still hurt by the turn of events but not much can be done now. What's done is done!! It's like a bad haircut. All you can do is wait for it to grow and get another trim ... from another hairdresser!! Except, I still have to work with that girl!! I didn't feel like sewing nor quilting. Yep! it was THAT bad!  But life goes on and, although trust takes longer than hair to regrow, I will survive this too. Now, on to better things ... like another girl at the head office that was sooooo sweeeet to me I made her a place mat.

Remember this? I started to machine quilt it.

Some of you (you know who you are!) make machine quilting look so easy. Well it's not. It does take practice and a lot of it in my case!! Really don't like the mess I've made. So, out came the drunk stitches. 

Got out some very high tech tools to give me some guide lines. Back to the sewing machine it went. 
Better but still not happy. I was getting frustrated with things at home and things at work so, I wasn't in a happy place at all. Out came the stitches and ...
Got distracted by another colour ... aaahhh, this is fun and relaxing and ... 

OKAAAAYYYY!!! back to the blues!  

I decided to hand quilted it. There! Done! To my liking! At least something somewhere will go like I want it to!! LOL. I've been at it since Friday trying to finish it for today so I can post it in Le Challenge.

Binding Blitz with Julie.

Le Challenge : Single as in single colour.

The girl, it is intended for, lives on a farm and I chose this fabric for the backing, thinking she would like that too. There's plenty of hearts all over this place mat because she has become very precious to me. Even the heart has a blue heart. :D I love it!


We had a lot of rain last week and the humidity really took a toll on my spine and hips joints. I was sore all week and still am. So today I will sit outside and let the sun warm up my old bones while I stitch a few hexies ...

and do some bird watching too.

Joining Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching, Julie for Binding Blitz (when it is time to link) and Lucy and Nat for Le Challenge and Cynthia for Oh Scrap!

Until next time ...

;^)


26 comments:

glassbylindi.blogspot.com said...

Good Day! I know what you mean about the machine quilting. I have been at it a short time and find it difficult but am determined to learn the technique. Sorry for you 'old bones' and am glad the sun is finally shinning on you. L

Quilter Kathy said...

I must say the hand quilting looks gorgeous! Glad you found a solution to make you love the project more. It's a perfect gift for a loving someone :)
Thanks for linking up and enjoy your stitching today!

Christine B said...

Hello Chantal! Glad you are getting over your upset at work.... it can take a long time when your have your trust damaged! Your little placemat looks fabulous and I love the hand quilting! Have a better week! :) x

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

Popped over from le challenge , love your blue mat. I basted a pixelated heart quilt today , must be the day for it

julieQ said...

Sorry about your work situation...that makes it tough. Love your blue heart though...hearts are my fave!!

Kath said...

Oh dear, don't these things prey on your mind for ages after the event? I hope you are starting to feel better about what happened. Your pretty place mat is so pretty, I love your hand quilting, I'm sure the new owner must be thrilled with it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So sorry to hear about your trouble at work. I hope your return to quilting will become a way to feel better! I love your heart place mat and the hand quilting you did. Did you use a pattern for the place mat or make it up on your own?

scraphappy said...

The hand stitching looks wonderful, but don't give up on machine stitches, maybe on something for you instead of a gift though. It gets easier with practice, much easier

Nancy said...

Nice single color scheme mat. I very much like your hand quilting. Hope life gets better and sunshine always helps.

gayle said...

That mat is so sweet! Even the backing is perfect.
I'm trying to get better at machine quilting, too. I have to make a conscious effort not to be too picky, otherwise I'll wear out the fabric from picking out and re-picking out quilting. I keep telling myself that someday it will seem easy...

Fiona said...

aaargh... nasty work situations can really stress a gal out.... throw the salt over your shoulder and try to forget it... people like that aren't worth it my friend..... you are too critical about your own maching quilting (we all are)... nobody notices once it is all done... however, your handquilted finish is fantastic so I think you did the right thing.... somethign about handquilting... have a better week ....xx
Hugz

Monica said...

Well, your hand quilting is beautiful, Chantal, so that is definitely the nicer finish. I'm sure she will love it!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is no fun when stressful situations upset your life. Hope yours gets better. Your hand stitching really set off that placemat beautifully - made that little project that much more special! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you had a tough time at work! At least you're back in the saddle and hopefully sewing will give you some comfort.
I love the blue heart!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you had a tough time at work! At least you're back in the saddle and hopefully sewing will give you some comfort.
I love the blue heart!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you had a tough time at work! At least you're back in the saddle and hopefully sewing will give you some comfort.
I love the blue heart!

audrey said...

Your hand quilting looks amazing! Love that stitching pattern. Will have to try it myself someday soon.:)

Lin said...

So pleased you went with the hand quilting - it looks lovely and makes the placemat that bit more special. Sorry to hear about your work problems - such a shame. What a beautiful bird, what is it do you know? xx

Lucy | Charm About You said...

The hand stitching looks amazing! I'm sure she'll love it. Sorry about the hard time at work, I hope it gets better. Thanks for linking to le challenge :)

CecileD said...

Ton quilting est vraiment très réussi et je suis certaine que ton amie va l'adorer !!
J'espère que ta semaine sera plus agréable que la semaine dernière....be cool, be zen.....
Je pense bien à toi....gros bisous :)

Dasha said...

That hand quilting on the place mat is just perfect. Hope you enjoyed that sunshine. We've had rain all day today. :(

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm sorry to hear about the problems at work ... hoping that things will settle down there.

I love the hand quilting on that placemat ... I know that I'm partial to hand quilting, but I think it makes that placemat even more special.

Deanna W said...

I find machine quilting frustrating too and end up handquilting. Between hand quilting and stitching hexies....I should be so relaxed, but all that sitting is causing me grief and so back to the treadmill I go!!! Keep a positive outlook(though it is hard at times) and things at work and in the sewing world will change!!

Linda said...

I hear you on feeling out of sorts and getting out of the groove. The place mat is so cute, and I love "even the heart has a blue heart". :) Your hand quilting is just beautiful. The hexies look like they are floating on water. Don't you love the cardinals!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Love the handquilting work! thanks for sharing on le challenge

Chantal said...

Hi Chantal! So sorry to hear you have been having a tough time at work! I hope things settle down. I love your placemat and the color is beautiful. The hand quilting is really stunning.