Sunday 31 May 2015

Some Scraps

Last week, I showed a picture of a new short project that looked like this ...


And here it is now ... almost done.

I will machine quilt it this week. Well, that's MY plan anyway lol. (I know I got the idea from someone's blog, unfortunately I can't remember who. Would this person please come forward so I can say thanks for the inspiration? Thank you.)

Behind every great quilt there's a story. Well behind this little placemat, there's a story too. For three and half months, I worked in a different department in another town. All the people were very nice to me. But when came lunch time, everyone left for their homes. Except me and one other girl who doesn't live nearby either. So we sat in the conference room and had lunch together most days. She is a sweetheart of a lady, just a few years younger than I, so we talked a lot, about nothing and everything. Living with her elderly parents, she feeds the animals (cow, sheep, chicken, duck, etc) before coming to work, everyday. By noon, she sits alone to eat. At the end of the day, she goes home to do farm work again. She said every now and again, a young man come to help with the cows and machinery. She really appreciates the help since her younger sister has fallen ill and her parents can't do it all anymore. My heart went out to her.

Now back at my regular job, I think of her a lot. So I decided to make a placemat for her. Maybe sitting alone in the conference room won't feel like such a "cold" place to have lunch in if she has the help of a scrappy "homey" placemat to cheer up the place.  What do you think ?

Anyway, that's what happened to some of my scraps this week. :D

I am joining Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework and Karen from Sew Many Ways for more scrap fun.

Joining Nicky at Mrs Sew and Sow for even more scrap fun.

Until next time ...

;^)


15 comments:

Marly said...

Aren't you a sweetie! I'm sure she'll love her present and her lunch breaks will be less lonely.

Fiona said...

lovely story to go with your lovely placemat...
Hugz

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a wonderfully sweet gift! I am sure it will be cherished.

And I love the pattern - Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Dasha said...

What a lovely thoughtful thing to do Chantal. How nice that you both had someone to chat to while you were working there.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

What a wonderful story to go with your placemat. I'm sure she'll cherish it.

LA Paylor said...

Nice! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is TOO cute!!!!

Christine B said...

Hello Chantal! I think that is a wonderful story.... she is going to love your placemat (which is beautiful) and she will think of you every time she sits down to lunch... it will bring a smile to her face! :) x

CecileD said...

C'est une très belle et gentille attention que tu as eu ! Je suis absolument certaine qu'elle va l'utiliser tous les jours en pensant à toi ! ;)
Bonne journée Chantal !

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a sweet thing you are doing for your former co-worker. Bless your heart!

Lin said...

A lovely story Chantal and what a beautiful thing to do. xx

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful! And, a beautiful placemat that I am sure she will love!

gayle said...

So sweet. It will make her happy to know that someone is thinking of her.

Flickenstichlerin said...

How sweet of you to think about her.The placemat will be so wonderful as a gift.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Nicky said...

What a lovely thought and a pretty placemat ! Great way to use scraps - thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday