Wednesday 4 February 2015

Gingerbread People

Usually I show you the fun I have in my sewing room.  On Sunday, I did a batch of gingerbread cookies and thought I should show you the fun I have in my kitchen!  :D

The recipe is at the bottom of the post if you're interested. It makes a  very puffy, soft and light brown gingerbread cookie, (not dry and brittle) a little bit like the Gingerbread Man in Shrek except mine never talked!


After "resting" in the refrigerator for two hours, it's time to roll the gingerbread dough.  Let the fun begins!! I start by rolling the dough very thin.


Transfer the shapes onto parchment paper then I push the edges towards the center to make the cookie thicker. Flatten out any big bumps.
The shape in the dough is how the cookie started out. You can see how smaller the cookies on the parchment are after being pushed back. The cookies are wrinkled a little but that's okay.
Then I roll the dough very thick like a quarter inch thick or more!


To bake them like this is to ask for burnt cookies. So after I pulled the shape out of the dough, I roll it again.
(Not easy to do with a camera in one hand lol.)
This process will flatten the cookie and make a larger and taller cookie.

See what I mean? I know they look wavy but it will disappear during the baking. These are my boys favorite one because there's more room to put more icing lol.

I also make "regular" shape gingerbread man but I make them dance, jump, do the slip,wave Hello! all kind of stuff. LOL. I just have plain simple good honest fun !!

After a few minutes on the beach under the big sun (in the oven), we have an entire community of Gingerbread People!! Not two are the same. There's even one or two Mrs. Gingerbread! Did you spotted her yet?


The boys call her the Ghost from PacMan video games lol. I mean just look at her!!  Anyway, that's how we do Gingerbread Cookies at my place. I know we are adults and should not play with our food but ... noooot at my house!! LOL Now, if you will excuse me, there is a cookie decorating party going on and I am invited. Hope I haven't ruined lunch for you.

Until next time ...  (I promise it will be about quilts! )

;^)


Gingerbread Man recipe 

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
2 3/4 cup floor
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I only put a dash or two)
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Heat oven at 350F.  Beat butter and brown sugar. Add egg, molasses and water while beating.  Combine the rest of the ingredients and add to the first mixture. Mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or over night.
Roll the dough to 1/8 inch thick a little at a time. Using cookie cutter, remove shapes and set on cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Let cool completely before decorating.
Gives about 2 dozens.
Enjoy!!


11 comments:

canuckquilter said...

I love your expressive gingerbread. When you're talking cookie dough, you absolutely must play with your food! Oh, and taste test too! Our gingerbread people tend to be the usual shapes (guys and gals), but the decorating! That's where the creativity kicks in... ninjas, mummies, xrays and abstract art :)

CecileD said...

J'aime beaucoup le pain d'épices et ce petit personnage, si cher aux américains et canadiens m'a toujours fait rigoler !!
De plus, il est présent dans certains quilts !!
Je suppose qu'ils étaient très bons mais en restent-ils encore ? LOL !! En France nous avons fêté la Chandeleur avec des crêpes !!
Biseset bonne journée Chantal !
Bises

Christine B said...

Hello Chantal... these look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :) x

MartiDIY said...

Fun with gingerbread cookies. I love it.

Barb said...

fun and I bet the kitchen smelled delicious

Fiona said...

lovely post Chantal and I love your gingie family...
Hugz

Bev C said...

Hello Chantal,

Oh the Gingerbread look so yummy. I wonder if there has been another batch made.

Happy days.
Bev.

Béa said...

Merci pour la recette, je vais tester XXX

Pattilou said...

Fun in the kitchen! Warms things up!

Dawn said...

Yum! I'm suddenly very hungry.

afistfuloflemons said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Yours look amazing. :)