Sunday 16 March 2014

Quilt of the century


I joke with my coworkers that I will need a century to finish this quilt. I baste the hexies at home usually when I sit at the computer.

I slowly assemble the hexies into diamonds during my lunch breaks ... well during some lunch breaks LOL (sometimes, I just talk !)

Then at home, I sew them together.

The paper hexies are still attached and gives some hexies a funny colour

I was inspired by this quilt found on the Quilt Index.org.  It was made around 1875-1900 from an unknown maker who never got to finish it. Hopefully, I will finish mine.  I've started it in 2011 and every time I look at the original one I still find it GOOOORRRGEOUS!! and it still gives me the "get up and go" burst of inspiration to continue mine. It is so different from the others hexies quilt and yet it is just as striking ... well, to me anyway. She used a lot of wonderful scraps to make her rows where I use one fabric per row.




Such a long way to go still ... but it's alright because I am so addicted to these little blocks that I am already pondering my next hexy quilt. May I live a long, long, loooooonnnnng time. Amen. ;^)





Sorry for the picture on its side but it gives you an idea of how long the quilt is. There are 10 diamonds per row in the darker colour. Just like the original one. I decided to cut the lighter diamonds to 9 per row and add sections of three to make the edge more even. 


I will try to link with Kathy's slow stitching Sunday . (Can I succeed on the first try? We'll see.)
(Edited to apologize to Kathy.  It took me a long time to see that I am saying backward, sorry. ) I mean Slow Sunday Stitching. (Yes, I know, we French people say things differently LOL)



Happy slow stitching everyone.
Until next time .... Smile !  It's contagious!   ;^)

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am making a hexie quilt using the same shape of "diamond" but I have a row of white hexies in between them. I do no work on it enough - one day maybe at the end of the year it will be finished or the year after? I am calling mine "Diamonds are Forever"

Quilter Kathy said...

Great job on linking up for the first time... welcome! Your hexie project is amazing! I have never seen one in this design before. Enjoy your slow stitching today!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I love this quilt too! I also love the way you are using a different fabric for each row. Hexies are so addictive. Do you hand piece or use papers to make your hexies? I will look forward to your progress.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You have much patience, perseverance and talent and the time will be worth it..just lovely! :)

Chantal said...

Thank you Kathy! for the welcome ... and thanks for the help too! :)
It is quite a different hexy quilt. It is the only I have ever found like that.

Jill said...

Good for you taking your hexies to work to stitch at lunch. I use to do that and I would also get sidetracked and talk. Welcome to Kathy's linky party. It keeps me motivated. Hopefully, it will do the same for you.

Willow River Piecemakers said...

Lol, I am new st SSS, so I did it wrong too! Link is correct though;) You are making great progress!

Dasha said...

Nice hexies. You are lucky to work in a location where you are able to sit and sew & chat at lunch time. In my last few jobs, it has been "grab a sandwich from somewhere and eat it at your desk". My last boss used to frown whenever he saw you leave the building!

Deb A said...

I just saw the French Canadian part - I knew I liked you for a reason! I'm 100% French Canadian but hailed from below the border (Vermont!) Transplanted to Florida few years ago.
Just tell them quilting is a journey like life - you learn lots along the way and sometimes the slow road is the best path.

Dawn said...

Your project is fabulous and worth all the time. You did a great job selecting the color to get the same look as the original. Thank you for sharing!

Jackie at Adirondack Urban said...

Your hexagon project is beautiful! I've become addicted to sewing hexies too, but for my first project I'm making the traditional hexie flower garden quilt. Maybe this design will be my second project (if I ever finish the first one!).

Fiona said...

.. that is going to be stunning... it is already looking lovely...
Hugz